4.3.11

Look what I found next to the Funk & Wagnalls

My brother and I weren't the only ones to mispronounce Funk & Wagnalls, right?   

Having already chatted about some of my favourite books, here’s a random smattering of other ‘early’ books that stay strong in my memory. 






Age 6:      Milly Molly Mandy     Joyce Lancaster Brisley

A sweet, very old-fashioneded account of English village life, with delightful line drawings.

Age 8:      Little Dream     Cynthia Leonetti 

Quite simply, the sweetest story I’ve ever read.  Yet you can’t find the book anywhere now   except in  national library holding collections.  I was captivated by oh-so-pretty Little Dream, the pompous Big Dreams and the wonderful finale.  Would love to meet somebody else who’s actually read it!

Age 9:          I Am David     Ann Holm

The epic and moving tale of a boy who “learned the meaning of beauty.”

Age 10:      Gobbolino the Witch’s Cat     Ursula Moray Williams

Easy to find with its glaring hot pink cover, this fantasy was a ripper read!

Age 11:       On The Beach    Nevil Shute 

My first grown-uppish ‘apolcalyptic’ book.  We're a long way from Enid Blyton now, baby.  Basic synopsis: nuclear bomb ends the world.   When the film of the book was later shot on location in Melbourne, Australia, the star Ava Gardner infamously said that it seemed like the end of the world, anyway ;p

Age 12:       Old Yeller   Fred Gipson

Came across this in my Dad’s “Readers Digest Condensed Book” collection, (which btw, looked awfully smart on the bookshelf next to the Funk &. Wagnalls).   The saddest story.

Age 13:    To Kill a Mockingbird     Harper Lee

What a powerful and moving story (and for once, the film was even better).  Atticus Finch rocks!

Age 14:    The Grapes of Wrath     John Steinbeck

A classic.  Fascinating in its alternating chapter style.  Loving Rose of Sharon.

Age 15:  My Darling, My Hamburger    Paul Zindel

If only for the title

Age 16:    Picnic at Hanging Rock     Joan Lindsay

Evocative and worth reading for the exquisite prose;  disturbingly frayed.

Age 17:   The Loved One     Evelyn Waugh

Only Waugh could make death funny.  Sharp and original, his command of satire is second   to none.  

Age 18:     Portnoy’s Complaint     Philip Roth

Even as a tiny child, I was aware of the outrage when this book was first published.  So when I came across it in a bookshop when I'd finally "come of age,"  I had to read it.  It wasn’t what I’d imagined, but so much better - possibly the funniest book I've ever read.   A masterpiece of Jewish humour.



14 comments:

  1. Not many that I have even heard of. Probably because I didn't read any English books until I was well into my thirties, well, not regularly. Which means I have a lot of investigating to do, I love children's books and since mine have outgrown that age, I have to rely on good friends like you to recommend some. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you MM :-) Only 4 or 5 would qualify as 'childrens books.' The influence of English lit was heavily laid on us, although we were force-fed "Auslit" as well (some of it good, some of it not). I was about 10 when I discovered American literature, and it became my favourite for a long time after. Even American childrens books had a completely different vibe.
    I loved Dickens, but where do I start choosing a favourite? I also recall loathing DH Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you M...hated DH Lawrence and more so because it was forced upon us. English Lit was one of my electives through high school and part of my social sciences degree through uni. A lot of which is still on my shelves because I won't part with it. I have always loved reading and would like to think I cover a wide range of literature 'types'. It is nice to know that there are still some like minded readers out there. I have also noticed that literature through the education system is somewhat disappearing. It is such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for saying that, Jolsey!! "Sons and Lovers" was required text for Matric, otherwise I'd have thrown my copy in the toilet. I just don't get why it's so highly regarded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit that I have never really got to grips with DH Lawrence. Must revisit some of his books to see if I can glimpse its merit now that I am older!
    Interesting comment about american childrens books being completely different to english ones... it is the same with tv. Australian tv, english tv, and us tv have completely different stylistic characteristics. Must be a cultural thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I never read millymollymandy altho I think I wanted to. I do remember being very much into the Pullein-Thompson sister's books when I was a kid... loved those horsey stories

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH yes - the Pony books! "A Pony of your own" etc. Made horses seem affordable. In the same way, Blyton's boarding schools all inexplicably had stables so that the students could board their horses as well. I wonder if that ever really happened? Perhaps at the very toffy ones? The cost of boarding school is already sky-high - imagine affording a horse and agistment on top of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little Dream is my all time favourite and my copy went "missing" in one of the family moves. Well I made Mum search for another copy with me over 30 years. Finally I managed to get a copy. It was so important to me to be able to share this story with my one day grandchildren. There are many people searching for a copy and I hate to think how much people are willing to pay for a copy now. I know I would have personally gone up to $120.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your "Little Dream" came true, Tanya :D

      Delete
  9. I very fondly remember The little dream by Cynthia Leonetti, I was given it and my mother would read it to me as I was in Hospital with Croup. I have been searching for years to find a copy, what a great memory ! ( the book not the croup)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark - now I can say I've met somebody else who remembers it! I can so vividly recall the shade of blue on the cover, and Little Dream with her huge eyes and long pigtails. Glad she made somebody else smile :-)

      Delete
  10. Came across your comment about Little Dream. We had a copy as children as our mother knew Cynthia Leonetti. It was my favourite book. When my girls were little I borrowed it from The National Library to read to them. It was a special shared moment. It would be lovely if enough people requested s reprint as everyone has a little dream of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Came across your comment about Little Dream. We had a copy as children as our mother knew Cynthia Leonetti. It was my favourite book. When my girls were little I borrowed it from The National Library to read to them. It was a special shared moment. It would be lovely if enough people requested s reprint as everyone has a little dream of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Kerrie. Always good to know others remember this lovely book. It really ought to be reprinted - was a timeless story. Little Dream herself had a 70s look, with her large eyes and ponytails, but it totally worked

      Delete